9:20 PM

9:01PM
Day 1

It was a rather uneventful day, far from what we would normally expect from a 30th birthday event. I went to church, heard mass, ran errands for my parents, and then went back home to sleep some more. A few months back, I thought I'd be ready for some major celebration as it's the beginning of yet another decade but I guess, that's what age comes with: simplicity and contentment. If not for some friends who suddenly came over, nothing would really happen.

But believe me, it's such a special, humbling and unforgettable day.



First, I got to spend it with my family. Looking back, I think this is the first time in years that I didn't spend the day for myself alone. Although there wasn't a party or we didn't go out to eat, my mom cooked beef mechado for lunch and I just realized how special it really is to be with them as I age. After all, they're not getting any younger as well. That's why when I heard mass this morning, I told God I just want my family to be safe.

Second, the day humbled me like never before. On my 30th birthday, I realized that life doesn't really require you to be so extravagant and powerful. It just needs you to be kind; and living with this principle had indeed created so much difference in my life. It gives me courage, patience and continuous humility. And I honestly look forward to more improvements in myself as I go through the next years and beyond. 

Last, this day convinced me that I am enough. No matter how degrading the world could be to me, what matters most is that I know myself and I stand by principles which makes me who I am. That's what people need, after all -- something to believe in, an anchor to keep us grounded, a guiding statute that will allow us to walk our lives with direction. Remember, no one gets lost when you know where you're going. And I know now where I want to be. 



The past years have been very challenging to me. But on the first day of my 30th year, I have convinced myself that as long as I'm alive, the trials won't end. But I promise myself that I'm going to face it head-on, with a more positive outlook. Because I was trained enough to win.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.